Sunday, July 1, 2012

Goal of the Day- My PB&J

I figured I should write a bit about my days in school since I have now established somewhat of a routine. I do more than just bpai tiao [travel]!

6:00 AM- Well, it ends up being around 6:20 AM after two ten minute snoozes. I usually wake up very drowsy due to my late night shows of Lost. Yes, I am completely hooked. Watched over 100 hundred episodes in the past 3 months. I probably shouldn't brag about that, though. I brush my teeth, kill some ants, do all the necessary morning activities and sit down to have my breakfast at about 6:45 AM- cornflakes with bananas and raisins have been my breakfast of choice for the past three months and I do not think I will break that streak any time soon.

7:15 AM- I sit outside of my house and wait for my ride. In the beginning, I would ride my bike the 1 kilometer to school but now I receive a ride from a friend. It does sound lazy, but, honestly, that one kilometer bike ride was not worth how sweaty I was when I got to school. So, for a few weeks now, Pii Note has picked me up for school. While I wait for him, I play with the neighbor's cat who I have grown incredibly fond of and would consider one of my best friends in Thailand. I know its a cat but he is one of the few people that don't criticize me daily! A few of the parents and students from my school will usually be eating kaao dom [pouridge] at my neighbor's restaurant. My neighbor, my Thai grandmother whom I love to pieces, offers everyday, "Gin kaao dom mai?" [Eat porridge?]  and everyday I say, "Gin kaao leeo," [I ate already.] The thai people will usually giggle at the foreigner speaking English and by that time, Pii Note has arrived.

7:30 AM- I arrive at school, literally door to door service, and make my way to the English classroom. I am lucky to have a teacher who likes to arrive early as well. We make chit chat while I check email/facebook and she completes one of the millions of write-ups she needs to do. Some mornings I have helped Pii Note teach music to the students. Right now, the students are learning the National Anthem while I just press the play/pause button on the CD player. It is nice to see the students motivated though and I hope to become more involved once I understand each part better.

8:00 AM- The first bell rings for the students to make their way to the flag pole. After about 5 minutes, the second bell rings and I head down as well. During the morning assembly, the students sing the National Anthem, pray and make announcements. Usually, one of the teachers will stand by me and talk too fast in Thai for the majority of assembly and I just smile and say, "Law? Jing Jing?" [Really?].

8:30 AM- The assembly is over and the teachers slowly make their way to class. Depending on the day I usually plan/teach/make materials for the upcoming lessons. I teach 12 hours a week, fourth through ninth grade, 2 hours a piece. I plan with each co-teacher 2 hours a week, which, for the most part, is productive.

11:30 AM- Lunch time. Lunch starts at 11:30 AM, but for some reason I always feel like I am late. Most of the teachers are finished eating by the time I get there. Everyday, the teacher's say the names of fruit in English - "Finger lady banana, rambuton..." etc. I just nod and smile then go to eat with the Paw Aw [Principal] as he requested. During this time, we discuss the various foods we are eating in English and in Thai and he asks me about some English words he hears on the television. His new favorite word is "hospitality"- easy word right? Almost every day, he asks, "Hospitality in Talasup?" [where I teach]. I have tried to correct the sentence but now I just enjoy a good giggle. Lunch is usually the only time of the day that I eat Thai food.

12:00 PM- I finish eating and make my way to the Annuban [kindergartener] play area. I enjoy teaching them some American games every now and then. However, I play with them mostly to absorb some of their never ending energy. Nothing makes you more tired than a big bowl of rice. Hanging around the youngsters gets me ready for the afternoon.

12:30 PM- The bell rings and students return to class. Again, depending on the day, I plan, teach or make materials.

2:30 PM- The last period of the day is saved for extracurricular activities. I decided to make the regular English club into a theater club- a recommendation from other Peace Corps volunteers. Peace Corps already has a group called Thai Youth Theater. Every year, schools from all over Thailand prepare a play in English to preform at a theater camp in central Thailand. I decided to try this out at my school. The students voted and chose Cinderella as our play. So far, we have had auditions- the students spoke about themselves in English for one minute and then recited a memorized line. It was great to see the students, especially the older students, motivated! I am hoping the students have fun with this project and do not see it as another "assignment."

3:30 PM- The 11,12,13 year olds hop on their motorbikes with their younger sibling in front of them and head home for the afternoon. I have last minute chats with the teachers or Paw Aw and hitch a ride home with Pii Note. Unless, there is a teacher's meeting...oy the dreaded teacher's meeting. Three hours of not understanding any Thai. Luckily, that is only once a week.

4:00 PM- I collect my thoughts for a good bit, giving myself time to relax. Then, finish up any school work that I did not get to during the day.

5:00 PM- I make sure I end my day at this time every day. As a Peace Corps volunteer, the one thing that is mandatory for sanity is to do something you enjoy personally everyday. For me, surprisingly, this has been exercising. Although I had many failed attempts in college, I have started loving Yoga. Every other day, I like to attempt to finish an insanity workout- key word attempt. Or, I enjoy a good run. I love running around 6:00 PM- the sky is turning a beautiful pink and the wind has a bit of a chill. Sabaai sabaai!

7:00 PM- Shower & eat. I have looked forward to my PB&J sandwiches every day for the past three months. I thoroughly enjoy licking the spoon after spreading the peanut butter and then, again, after spreading the jelly. I do not see this getting old any time soon. The delicious sandwich marks the end of my long/frustrating/humorous/educational day. I watch an episode of lost, ....or two ....or three, talk to Charlie then hit the hay.

Although it may not sound like the most adventurous of days, it is impossible to describe how much I have changed/learned since being here. Yes, I could do the majority of these things back in America, teaching in an elementary school. Nevertheless, nothing will ever compare to the opportunity I have here. For once in my life, I am the minority. It has led to some frustrating, upsetting moments but to more eye opening experiences. These daily experiences have led to a better understanding of myself.

And, my new found love of PB&J.

No comments:

Post a Comment