Thursday, April 5, 2012

And so my journey continues in Thailand!

I figured it is about time I continue with this blog. I have so many experiences here that I want to remember but sometimes it is too hard to put down in words. However, today I wanted to share my excursion to a rubber tree farm. But, before that, here is that past three months in a nutshell.

I arrived to Thailand with fifty-one other strangers at midnight. Groggy, we collected our luggage [mine already town up and ducked tape together from the trip to Detroit] and headed towards the buses. The Peace Corps had us waking up bright and early the next day to begin our Preservice Training (PST). Within one week, I had learned how to introduce myself and say numbers in Thai. I guess the Peace Corps figured that was enough, so they sent us to live with our host families that Sunday. Boy, was that a petrifying experience. My first dinner home was filled with many new Thai words, smiles and pure laughter (but they definitely were not laughing with me...). Over the next few weeks, however, I soon began to realize how lucky I was to be given this host family. My Thai family consisted of two older sisters (three if you count the girl that always slept over) and a mother and father. My sisters sold coffee and tea in the market and my mother sold fruit. I still do not really know what my father did. I became very close with this family, even sleeping in the same bed as my sisters eventually. I know I will be making a return trip to Singburi to visit my family.

In the beginning of PST, my family had me waking up at the crack of dawn to help sell fruit at the market. And also to come get my breakfast (they still can not get over the fact that I ate only an apple every morning). Soon, because I came lazy and tired, my wonderful host father would bring me a huge bag of fruit and leave it on my bicycle. I would then head to either the school by my house or the municipality office (tessabon) 7 kilometers away. Sometimes, those were terribly long days but, usually, I enjoyed being surrounded by the other volunteers. I can not believe what an amazing group of people I have met through the Peace Corps. Of course, there were some people that I kept my distance from, but, for the most part, I would love to visit the majority of the fifty one other volunteers.

In that group of fifty-one volunteers, I did meet someone I really care about and is currently my boyfriend. I know what most of you would say- of course I have a boyfriend in Thailand. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever met- lived in the Dominican Republic, Honduras, parts of Africa and Vietnam, only spending about eight scattered years of his life in Virginia. Like you would guess, being Peace Corps volunteers and all, we have very similar morals and I think that is what connects us the most.

So, throughout the ten weeks of PST, I learned about Thai culture (how to not act American), made some genuine friends of all ages, relearned how to ride a bike, ate all kinds of fruits/vegetables/meats/desserts, lost weight then gained it all back, sang karaoke, lots and lots of it, learned Thai dances, spent nights with volunteers for a break, went to party after party, watched burlesque dancers, stumbled through the Thai language, and overall, enjoyed myself.

On March 19th, 2012, all fifty-two trainees were sworn in as volunteers, very unusual for the Peace Corps. Two days later, my co-teacher and I were off to Pathiu, Chumphon, my new work site. What a crazy mix of feelings I had that day. I was petrified, excited, ecstatic, sad all in the same breath.

So that is where I am now. I have spend two weeks at my site, fumbling with names (I work with Pii Jack, Pii Joy, Pii Jay, Pii Jum, Pii Jen plus three Pii Airs), running up and down these massive hills, figuring out the mounds of Peace Corps paperwork, refusing the loads and loads of rice they have been giving me and taking some time for myself. Currently, it is considered summer for school, since it is the hot season here. Every season is the hot season, actually. This is just the hottest one.

I try to make schedules and lists for myself, still not getting over the fact that those do not work in Thailand. Each day seems to bring something different. Sometimes, I have the day to myself where I enjoy reading and a nice long run (you would be running too if everyone and their mom were calling you fat!). Other days I go from meeting to meeting, having a perfected speech ready, making the community think I can speak Thai. When school begins again, I will be spending four days at the school teaching with Kruu Awn and Kruu Sila. On Fridays, I will be going to the government office to teach English to community members that choose to come. With the assistant to the mayor, Pii Jay, I hope to create a sustainable, active youth group. A lot of plans right now and I am very eager to begin!

But for now, I think I have learned to be a bit more easy going, something PST definitely helped me with. After a day of meetings and smiling, I took a trip to a tree garden owned by an older man I have met numerous times. Him and his wife, Pii Tom and Pii Jum speak incredible English and were eager for me to visit. We spent two hours browsing the numerous types of trees they have throughout his acre garden. Him and his wife eagerly talked about how to plant and take care of rubber trees, palm oil trees, durian trees, dragon fruit trees, etc. After, we chatted about America and Thailand over some fresh fruit. Before it could get dark, we said our goodbyes and they graciously offered their home anytime I needed some space. Pii Tom said, "I think we can be great friends."

Today was the first time at site I really enjoyed myself. I think this feeling came from the simple statement Pii Tom said to me. In a society where status is very important, I have gotten used to being the "nong" or the younger one. I do feel like I am being treated like I am ten, sometimes. But, today, it was nice to talk with an adult like an adult and then be offered a friendship rather than mother/daughter relationship.

I do not think he knows how much that statement means to me. I am eager to continue at this site and make more friendships like mine with Pii Tom.

2 comments:

  1. <3love this.....can't wait to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tess! I really enjoyed reading your blog, please keep writing whenever you can so we can get a glimpse of your adventure. :) It's great that you're adjusting to your new site and I'm so glad you got to meet so many wonderful people already :)
    I can't wait to hear more of your stories in the near future~
    always keep yourself healthy and go tess!!

    ReplyDelete