It is an interesting feeling being the minority. Everywhere we walk, like nine ducks in the row, we make a scene. Even when we are walking around with our Ghanaian friends, people look at us like we are crazy. This experience makes me think about the minorities in America and the schools I attended. In Selden and in Geneseo, there was not much exposure to different races. Being in Africa, we really do stand out with our white skin and brown/blonde hair. Nevertheless, I quickly learned that a smile receives a smile back. I never had the experience of being a minority but it is definitely something that everyone should.
When feeling a bit out of place and uncomfortable, you can learn a lot about yourself. I have learned more about myself on this trip than in the past year. I am constantly stared and laughed at (not in a bad way) but I have grown accustom to it. I know that Ghanaian men and women are just as interested in me as I am in them. There are so many things beyond skin color that make us different. When mentioning freckles and beauty marks, Ghanaians have no clue what we are talking about. Or even the concept of sunscreen. Ghanaian women expecially love touching our hair.
Nonethleless, I find myself constantly saying, "I'm in Africa?" I may be on another continent, in another country but everything still feels the same. I am surrounded by people, some friendly, some not. I am walking on a college campus, buying my own meals and hanging out with friends. I am immersed into a classroom for a short period of time. It is an interesting concept to think about- travelling around the world and I still feel somewhat at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment