I need to remember how to be positive again. I have become a person I cannot stand to be around. I miss my "glass half full" view of everything, although that meant I was naive. Honestly, almost everything does have a silver lining and I determined to see the world like that once again.
So, here it is. My silver-lining after one year of service as a Peace Corps volunteer.
1. Peace Corps Volunteers-
Charlie, Kelly, Nick, Ina, Lauren, Rissa, Nora, Julia, Amanda, Jay, Dan, Jessica, Shellie, Sara K., Sarah L., El, Joel, Kathleen, Ginny, Karissa, Krista, James, Tess, JM, Mike, Amy, Jesse, Susan, Michelle, Barbara, Nolan, Emily, Jen, Jeff, Josh, Erin, Kyle, Faith, Kirstie, Kayla, Valerie, Leslie, Sima…THANK YOU.
2. Healthy Living
In the beginning of my service, I had a hard time dealing with the blunt words of the Thai people. I was eating very little and exercising a crazy amount. Regardless, before my service, I was never a healthy person. Sure, I played sports. But, according to the Theresa diet, that meant I could eat whatever I want. Then college came and so did the consumption of some beverages. Finally, I have found my perfect balance. With all the spare time on my hands, I have found a love of exercising as well as eating my cucumbers and green beans. No matter how weak I may feel mentally, my body always feels strong and healthy.
3. My Host Family
Five star OTOP owner mother whom exports to Malaysia + award winning railway operator father + 13 year old squealer. Perfect. My host mother's tough love took a bit to get used to. However, now I enjoy her directness- it is a breath of fresh air in Thai society. My host father is a kind, gentle man that enjoys lightening the mood with countless jokes. Finally, my host sister always makes me laugh when I catch her dancing around the living room, singing an outdated American pop song. When I get lonely, it is nice to feel a part of the family.
4. TYT
Thai Youth Theatre has given me the opportunity to become really close with 19 students. I know it is terrible to have favorites, but I, without a doubt, do. Without even knowing it, these students have been there for me the past nine months and have kept me motivated for my second year. I love them and I refuse to think about leaving them in a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment