I have just completed my first full week of school and I,
honestly, cannot tell how I feel about it. I think I feel exhausted, frustrated
but motivated, and a bit confused, I guess. I will be teaching four days at my
school, with three hours of teaching per day. The other three hours are spent
either helping with the prathom (elementary) and matteyom (high school) English
club, planning with my co-teachers or typing up our lessons we created.
I am lucky to have two co-teachers that are willing to meet
with me to plan lessons-many other volunteers seem to be struggling with this.
Not to say it goes smoothly, however, but at least my co-teachers might see the
importance of planning (I hope). During break from school, I guided my teachers
through creating a curriculum outline, not just based on the textbook. We used
the text, Thailand National Standards and previous Peace Corps Volunteers
materials. This outline has been extremely helpful in guiding our conversations
during planning. So much so, that in one hour I am able to plan three lessons
with one of my co-teachers. They definitely are not flawless lessons, but it is
a start. I am hoping that my co-teachers will want to plan because they recognize the benefits. Thus, I am
trying to make it as painless as possible.
That is definitely not the case with my other co-teacher.
Most of the time, I think she is rethinking requesting a PC Volunteer. Quoted
directly from her, “I have never worked this much.” I have tried to make her less
nervous/worried about the whole situation but I am pretty sure she is having
buyer’s remorse. During planning, she looks at me blankly- never have I felt
more like an alien. The hour drags as we either sit in silence or I try to
comfort her, telling her everything is going to be all right. I am no
psychiatrist, but I am pretty sure within the next several months, she might
have a breakdown. Let’s hope I can
prevent that…
Nonetheless, SOMEHOW, I have no clue how…I was able to get
both of my co-teachers planned for lessons two weeks in advance. I do not think
this will happen again within my two years of service, so I will sit and be
content for a millisecond.
Despite some success in the planning aspect of co-teaching,
they will be many challenges with teaching in the Thai school system. I am, in
no way, saying that the American system is perfect. In fact, if Thai teachers
went to teach in America, they could help our school system just as much with
student responsibility. Co-teaching with a Thai counterpart feels somewhat like
a power struggle. Yes, we do plan the lessons together and organize materials
together. Nonetheless, teaching is much more than the subject matter. A teacher
must have patience, understanding and, in most cases, a censor for what they
really want to say to the children. From what I have observed, these are not
these attributes are not of high importance in the classroom. I am sure outside
of dealing with teaching 35 students in a class, these teachers are calm, cool
and collected. However, in class, my
co-teacher gives students about three or four seconds to answer a question (I
counted) before she gets nervous and starts drilling them with the same
question, speaking in Thai or giving them the answer. The teacher does not find
any harm in saying a student is slow or sitting all the struggling students in
the back of the classroom. Sometimes, when a student cannot answer a question,
my teacher will “rough” them around a bit. She does not fully hit the students
like in Ghana, but, nevertheless, I do not think that would be an effective way
to make a student attempt to answer again.
The lack of patience in the classroom has led to thirty
students staring blankly at me waiting for me to give them the correct answer.
I do not think that all thirty students can respond to “What is your name?” but
I know that about a third, maybe more can. They are just too frightened to be
wrong. When I ask a student to draw a picture, the picture will be exactly like
the example given. When I ask a student to choose one of the questions we
learned to say, they wait for my prompt to make sure they choose the “right’
one. It is upsetting to see such lack of imagination from children.
With that being said, I will read to these students, even if
my co-teacher claims they will not understand. I will speak mostly English with
them, unless we are hanging around together during lunch or after school. I
will act goofy and dorky, sing and dance until the one brave student decides to
join me. Although status is very important in Thailand, I am hoping to show the
teachers that being personable, relaxed and open to making a fool of yourself
will help students be relaxed and open in the classroom.
Throughout this whole challenge, I need to keep reminding
myself that I am not here to teach English to the students, I am a teacher
trainer. My focus should be on the development of the teacher and not the
students’ language abilities. Being a controlling person, usually preferring
independent work to group work, this is a scenario that will make me frustrated
until I want to scream. It will take a lot not to just take over, in order to think
about the best interest of the children.
Like my program states, I need to make my work sustainable. There is no
way I will ever feel completely accomplished or satisfied that I completed my
task. I am just a step towards a different direction for Thailand and I am glad
to be a part of that.
Nonetheless, although I am here to work with my co-teacher,
I will join the students in a futbol game or two!
futbol!! :) It's so challenging to co-teach here in America, I can't imagine how it is in Thailand! I hope that you're enjoying all the food there, Pad Thai must not compare to anything here..haha..
ReplyDeleteCultural differences with teachers might challenge you but I'm sure you'll gain so much more out of it to become a wiser/greater teacher. I can't wait to hear more about your story and keep that passion you have for students!
I cannot fathom how difficult each day must be for you! But you are a smart, innovative, creative and lovable person so i know that no matter what everything will be ok :) ! I just started my internship in a very poor school here in Costa Rica and although I speak a sufficient amount of spanish, it is still incredibly difficult to try and convey and do all of the things that I want. I am now beginning to understand just how much both the cultural differences and language differences in the classroom create extra barriers aside from the obstacles that already exist within teaching. Nonetheless, I think it will make us more creative, understanding, and determined teachers back in the U.S.!! Keep up the good work! I know you'll be great:) Don't worry about the problems, they will seem so small when you look back ! Like they say here in Costa Rica, "Pura Vida" which literally means "pure life," but to los tics (the costa ricans) it means everything is alright, life is beautiful/good and nothing could be better because life could always be worse! And always remember to keep your head up and smile :) You're awesome chica:) buena suerte(good luck) with the days to come! Love and miss you always!
ReplyDelete