I love to plan my whole life. Each day I wake up and go through my schedule of events-breakfast, who to see, what to get done, when I should go to bed, et cetera. I find comfort in planning like this and when things do not goes as planned, of course, I am bummed.
Nothing has upset me more than the decision I had to make this past weekend. Last week, I emailed numerous Peace Corps recruiters and country liaisons to discuss the possibility of coming home for my brother, Tony's, wedding. Originally, when I accepted my invitation, I was told that returning to the States should not be a problem. However, upon further investigation, the recruiters realized a mandatory training would prevent me from coming home. Of course, the training ends the day before the wedding. A difference of ten hours is keeping me from attending my brother's wedding.
So, that brings me to my decision. I needed to let the Peace Corps know if I would want to decline my invite due to the conflict or to continue with the process. I have never had to make such an important decision before. Family is such an important part of my life and I could not imagine disappointing all of the people I love. I spent many hours thinking this past weekend, even making a pro/con list (of course). It seemed like no answer was the right one and, honestly, neither is.
In the end, I chose to continue with the process and accept my invitation to Thailand (again). I received great support from my family which helped reassure me. I know on July 28, 2012, the day of my brother's wedding, I will be feeling some crazy emotions being so far away from such a special event. Nonetheless, I cannot take such chances with my dream. I am grateful to have such an opportunity presented to me. I just hope that I will be content with my choice a few months from now.
You go girl! Already bookmarked this to my toolbar :-D
ReplyDelete